Floyd County Indiana Marriage Licenses
Where to apply:
Marriage licenses may be issued to couples if one party is a resident of Floyd County. If neither the bride nor groom is an Indiana resident, we can only issue a license if they will be married in Floyd County. Individuals who wish to be married must both appear together and in person to apply for a license in the Floyd County Clerk's Office.
Required Documents - One of the following is required for each individual:
• Valid government issued identification that shows a date of birth with current address
• Valid driver's license with current address
• Passport, military identification
Applicants must be at least 18 years of age to marry without special consent. Persons who are 17 years of age must apply for the license with both parent(s) or person who has legal custody who must sign the consent portion of the application. Individuals 16 years or younger must petition the court as shown under I.C.31-11-1-6.
The State of Indiana no longer requires you to present a blood test.
Marriage license can be issued on the same day of application. There is no legal waiting period to obtain a marriage license and no witnesses are required.
If either applicant has been married previously, the license application requires information of the month, year and manner in which the marriage ended.
Additional Information Needed:
Please bring with you the following information:
• Full name of father and mother (maiden name)
• Residence of father and mother
• Birth place of father and mother
• Marriage license applications are available Monday - Friday, 8:00 am until 3:30 pm in the Floyd County Clerk's Office.
• Start the marriage license process online by clicking here. Submit the information online then visit the Floyd County Clerk's Office to complete the application.
• Indiana residents - At the initial application, the fee is $20.00 (includes 2 certified copies of marriage license), if at least one applicant is a resident of Floyd County.
• Out of State Residents - If both parties are out of state residents, and your marriage ceremony is performed in Floyd County, the fee is $60 cash only. (Includes 2 certified copies of the marriage licenses)
Credit/debit cards and cash are accepted for payment in the Clerk's Office.
Members of the clergy may perform marriages also judges, and clerks.
A license expires 60 days after it is issued and is only valid in the State of Indiana. You will receive the license the same day that you apply.
Upon return of your license from your wedding ceremony the clerk's office will mail you a copy. If you would need a certified copy of your marriage license you may do it in person in the Clerk's office or by mail. We need the maiden name of the bride and name of groom, also the date of the wedding. If by mail, please enclose a money order for $1.00 per license and a self addressed stamped envelope.
If you simply need to get a copy of your marriage license you may search online for your marriage license at the website address below. This database contains many—but not all—marriage records from 1993 to the present. Because not every Indiana County uses the INcite e-file system, some records must be manually entered much later than the marriage took place.
This database contains Floyd County marriage records from 1938 – July 2007. For marriage records prior to 1938 please contact the Marriage Clerk at 812-542-3019 or the Records Clerk at 812-941-5478.